[syslog-ng] Re: Logging to program destinations has odd prefix?

John Caruso jcsyslog at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 14 19:04:31 CEST 2006

On Friday 05:24 AM 7/14/2006, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > I'd think that as the default it would make more sense to generate
> > messages just as they would have been generated with a file()
> destination
> > and to require users who actually want the priority prefix (or any
> other
> > special handling) to use a template to get it, rather than requiring
> it to
> > be stripped out by default.
>
>And what happens to those users who are using the current format in
>their scripts?

They'd use a template, of course.  My general point was just that it's
better to design for the rule rather than the exception, especially when
the resulting behavior is unexpected and (apparently) not documented.  It
doesn't matter much to me anymore since I've already spent the time
tracking down/testing this behavior (since I initially thought it might be
a problem with *my* script) and then working around it.

- John