[syslog-ng] Bug in syntax checking in 2.0-rc1

Paul Krizak paul.krizak at amd.com
Fri Jul 14 01:52:23 CEST 2006

I'm using 2.0-rc1 and found the following bug in syntax checking:

$ syslog-ng -d -F -f /opt/mpd/vtec/etc/syslog-ng.conf
Error in configuration, unresolved destination reference;
filter='d_syslog_pipe'

But running:
$ syslog-ng -s -f /opt/mpd/vtec/etc/syslog-ng.conf ; echo $?
0

Returns 0, i.e. "syntax is OK!"

This just caused me a great deal of headaches, because I use a script to
generate my syslog-ng.conf and I couldn't figure out why syslog-ng
refused to startup...the script checked the syntax at the end and it
returned fine!

I believe that the -s switch should mean "if it returns zero, then when
you fire up syslog-ng, it *will* start up and begin functioning."

--

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741