[syslog-ng] Re: Logging to program destinations has odd prefix?

John Caruso jcsyslog at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 13 19:08:32 CEST 2006

On Thursday 02:45 AM 7/13/2006, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>Let me stress that _this is not a bug_, it is working as intended. Newer
>versions can specify a template for programs, which can be used to omit
>the priority value.

Ok, thanks.  The preceding exchange didn't indicate that; in fact I was
assuming it was intentional until I saw you saying that it was fixed in a
recent version.  I couldn't find anything about this in the 1.6 (or even
2.0) documentation either (searching for "program", "prefix", "<", etc),
and the only mailing list postings I found about it were these two that
implied it was a bug.  Was I missing something obvious, or is this just
undocumented behavior?

I'd think that as the default it would make more sense to generate
messages just as they would have been generated with a file() destination
and to require users who actually want the priority prefix (or any other
special handling) to use a template to get it, rather than requiring it to
be stripped out by default.

- John