[syslog-ng] Monitoring a syslogd file?

Jeremiah Rothschild jrothschild at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 18:41:48 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have completely replaced syslogd with syslog-ng on my main system and it
is great!  Thank you much for all the work that has gone into it.  I am a
very grateful user and wanted to give praise where due!

However, I do have another system with lesser needs that I am unsure how to
correctly configure.  I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide me with
some insight.

What I'm wanting to do is set up syslog-ng to monitor one of the files that
syslogd is writing.  Specifically, I have a custom application that is
writing to /var/log/messages and I'd like syslog-ng to monitor that file for
events generated by the application then have them re-wrote to a different
log file.

I have read the reference manual, and tried messing around with the file()
driver, but don't seem to be getting anywhere.  Additionally, I searched the
last six months of the mailing list archive but saw no related threads.

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

jeremiah