[syslog-ng] Strange ... IP Address instead of the machine name ....

fredzy padzy fredzyy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:49:36 CET 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm centralizing the logs of ten servers in on central one, thanks to
syslog-ng, and some syslogd on the servers (which are different OS, like
AIX, Solaris, HP UX ...).

I use php-syslog as a web interface, and it works great =)

But i've noticed that my php-syslog has got one problem :

In the 'server' comboBox, i can see some IP address and just a few name,
which aren't DNS ones.

I'm not sure where my central server has found thoses names ( maybe in the
packets send by the clients) but i've checked the file /etc/hosts of this
central server.

I've written down there the ip addresses (of the comboBox) followed by a
'tab' and then, the name that i want to be displayed ....

But nothing to do ... i desn't work like that.

So maybe someone can help me :)

thanks a lot :=)