[syslog-ng] Named Log Entries in the Config File

Kenneth Kassing kassing at patton.com
Thu Jan 5 21:05:18 CET 2006

Sandor Geller wrote:
> Kenneth Kassing wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I am writing a program to make updates tho the syslog-ng configuration
>>file.  To allow for easily adding and removing log entries, I updated
>>the parser gramer to allow a name field in the log entry.  The name is
>>optional, so old log files will still work.  This name is not used by
>>syslog-ng in any way.
>>

>>Example: Both log entries below are valid with my grammar update.
>>
>>log {
>>         source(s_all);
>>         filter(f_syslog);
>>         destination(df_syslog);
>>};
>>
>>log l_syslog {
>>         source(s_all);
>>         filter(f_syslog);
>>         destination(df_syslog);
>>};
>

> You could use another approach (without patching syslog-ng), using only
> comments:
>
> #<BEGIN l_syslog>
> #<END l_syslog>
>
> I used a similar approach for adding/removing sources, destinations and
> filters. My update tool was sed :))

That is an approach I had not thought of.  However, I like the name
field in the log option as it remains parallel with the existing config
log.  This could conceivably be adopted and used by syslog-ng itself in
the future.

Additionally, I am using a grammar parser written in python to read in
the config file.  Currently it is configured to ignore all the comments.
  Adding a special comment to the grammar would significantly complicate
the logic I am using.

Thanks
-Ken