[syslog-ng] Limit logging frequency of specific messages?

Frank Myhr fmyhr at fhmtech.com
Tue Feb 14 21:14:44 CET 2006

Hi,

This morning a daemon went nuts and sent enough messages to fill up my
logging partition in a few seconds. As this partition is under /var
(/var/log) this made some other parts of my system unhappy. I think I've
fixed the particular problem that led to my system's self-inflicted DOS
but got to wondering if there's a way that syslog-ng could limit the
frequency with which it logs certain user-defined messages. Something
like iptables' limit match:

-m limit --limit 15/hour --limit-burst 30

I haven't found a way to do this with syslog-ng 1.6.5 (debian sarge). Is
something like this feasible (or better, planned for a future release)
(or best: already there)?

Thanks!
Frank