[syslog-ng] max-connections

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Dec 20 01:59:34 CET 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 07:24:47PM +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 15:23 +0000, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> > I've got a central logserver on syslog-ng and am getting the following
> > in my logs:
> >
> > syslog-ng[26180]: Error accepting AF_UNIX connection, opened
> > connections: 100, max: 100
> >

> AF_UNIX refers to unix domain sockets, e.g. you are probably hitting the
> maximum on unix-stream("/dev/log");

Yup, either change it to:

 unix-dgram("/dev/log");

...or:

 unix-stream("/dev/log" max-connections(200));

I see problems with /dev/log connections piling up when boxes are under
high load, like 30+. When syslog-ng doesn't get enough CPU time to deal
with incoming logs, you either have to move to unix-dgram and accept the
possibility of message loss, or keep increasing the /dev/log connection
limit and hope your boxes eventually catch up. :(
--
Nate

ASCII and ye shall receive.