[syslog-ng] newbie question on dns_cache in syslog2.x

jrhendri at maine.rr.com jrhendri at maine.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 22:32:32 CET 2006

Apologies in advance for the the newbie question. I did search the
archives, the FAQ and look at the source before posting.

I am configuring a fedora core 5 system with syslog-ng-2.0rc4 and have
not had any success with dns_cache(yes) actually doing anything.

I setup tcpdump to watch the DNS traffic and am generating logs toward
the box. No matter whether I have dns_cache enabled or not I see dns
lookups for each inbound message. When I look at the source code, I find
the resolve_hostname() function in misc.c and I don't see any caching
code. What I do see is:

/* FIXME: add nscache support here */

Am I missing something? How does dns_cache(yes) actually work?

I do want to use hostnames in the logging directories, but I do not want
each syslog message to trigger a DNS query. Should I just use nscd on
the server and not worry about it :-)

Thanks again!

Jim