[syslog-ng] Pipe to MYSQL does not work

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 30 15:21:46 CEST 2006

Matthew Redel wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Tailing the pipe while SYSLOG-NG is running shows nothing being input
> to the pipe. As I mentioned, however, SYSLOG-NG writes to file just
> fine. The databse is working, I can manually login to the db and do an
> INSERT just fine.
>
> The script does persist and specifies the correct the db, username and
> password. However, this script is a moot point if SYSLOG-NG doesn't
> even send to the pipe.
>
> Could my Libol version be an issue, or woul;d SYSLOG-NG not even run
> if Libol is not correct?
>
> Matt

Ironically, shortly after writing a reply to you, mine went funny after
several months of flawless working. My MySQL db was corrupt (probably
after going down hard) and then after
 fixing the database, I found nothing going to the pipe (tailed it), so
I dropped and recreated it and fiddled a bit, restarting syslog-ng
seemed to fixed it after a bit. Not sure if the pipe or the syslog was
also broken but there you go, recreate the pipe and get it to be able to
tail stuff for you, then try the syslog-ng on it and it will work.

life is full of too many coincidences to just be coincidence...

Hari Sekhon