[syslog-ng] FQDN's in syslog-ng

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 24 22:17:33 CEST 2006

There are a several of different options for dealing with host names and
I have not managed to sort them all out yet.  The single line
explanations in the manual are not enough to work out the details.

Be aware that the hostname can be set on either the central log server
or on the system generating the logs.  The default seems to be that the
central server will keep the host name that is in the packet, if there
is no hostname in the packet it will do a reverse lookup to determine
it.  We want to override this but have not spent a lot of time fiddling
with the options to see what works.

What you want to do is possible it just a matter of figuring out which
options you need on the client and server.

What is bothering us at the moment is that SUN monitoring crap called
SRS manages to generate some syslog records with SRS in the hostname
field.  So on the central server these all turn up in the same file.

I really must sort this out today, sigh...

I'd be happy to hear from someone who has already sussed out how these
options work!

Russell