[syslog-ng] RE: Performance tuning questions

Martin, David M David.Martin at anheuser-busch.com
Wed Aug 23 15:01:08 CEST 2006

Greg,

I had 'messages being dropped' issue recently on rhel4 and sol8 hosts.

since you are using rhl..

'netstat -ucs' was reporting 500-2000 packet receive errors per second.

after making a few adjustments it has dropped to 0.

my sysctl.conf is similar to yours, except for:

net.core.rmem_default = 16777216
net.core.wmem_default = 16777216

* values mentioned worked for me, your mileage may vary.

in my syslog-ng.conf file, I adjusted the source:
(may be unnecessary since I use the default as set by sysctl (above), but for
documentation sake)

source abs_udp514 {
  udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514) so_rcvbuf(16777216));
};

set the log_fifo_size

destination abd_sec {
  program(
    "/opt/sec/2.3.3/sec.pl -input=\"-\" -conf=/opt/sec/etc/sec.conf"
    template("$MONTH$DAY $UNIXTIME $HOST $MSG\n")
    log_fifo_size(8192)
  );
};

did something similar for my file destinations.

and then add flow-control

log {
  source(abs_udp514);
  filter(abf_postfix);
  destination(abd_sec);
  flags(flow-control);
};

# netstat -ucs
Udp:
    1067529425 packets received
    9835593 packets to unknown port received.
    27851339 packet receive errors
    772843529 packets sent
Udp:
    1067529464 packets received
    9835593 packets to unknown port received.
    27851339 packet receive errors
    772843549 packets sent

Message: 3