[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 1.0rc1 stops listening to UDP when zero-length packet received

Dark Angael darkangael81 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 03:24:21 CEST 2006

I have been testing 2.0 rc1 for use in a production environment and have
discovered a potential DOS exploit. I discovered this when I stopped
receiving logs after a particular application started. It turns out that for
some reason this app was sending a zero-length packet to syslog. After
receiving this packet, syslog-ng gives the following output in debug mode:

EOF occurred while reading; fd='3'
Closing log reader fd; fd='3'

This is reproducible using packet injection also. It has been shown to
happen on both solaris 8 and linux (2.6.15-gentoo-r5).

It does not happen on syslog-ng version 1.6.11.