[syslog-ng] FQDN based on destination

Chris Whipple CWhipple at hertz.com
Tue Apr 25 18:16:15 CEST 2006

I would also like to be able to choose FQDN based on the local destination
even from the same source. For example the local mail log would receive the
short name (a requirement by our Sendmail Admins), but still have the
security log get the FQ hostname.

  destination d_maillog { file("/var/log/maillog"); use_fqdn(no);  };
  destination d_seclog  { file("/var/log/secure");  use_fqdn(yes); };

Maybe this could be considered for a future enhancement.

Thank you,

Chris Whipple
Sr. Security Analyst
Unix Security Group
The Hertz Corporation
5601 NW Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73132, USA
cwhipple at hertz.com

                                       "Syslog-ng users' and developers'
                                       mailing list"
  Balazs Scheidler                     <syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
  <bazsi at balabit.hu>                                                    cc
  Sent by:
  syslog-ng-bounces at lists.bala                                     Subject
  bit.hu                               Re: [syslog-ng] FQDN based on
                                       destination

  04/23/2006 04:30 AM

  Please respond to
  "Syslog-ng users' and
  developers' mailing list"

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:59 -0500, Chris Whipple wrote:
> Is there a way to change the use_fqdn() option based on the destination
so
> that one receives the short host name an the other receives the FQ name?
> I'm using version 1.6.10.
>
> example:
>
>       options {
>             use_fqdn (yes)
>             };
>
>       destination d_logfile        { file("somelogfile") ;  };
>       destination d_rmtserver   { tcp("rmtserver.domain.com" port(514));
> use_fqdn(no); };

No it is not currently possible, and it is not very easy to do as
hostname resolution is done at the receive side, it would be easier to
do on a per-source basis.

syslog-ng maillist  -  syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu
Frequently asked questions at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html

---------------
This message (including attachments) may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or protected from disclosure.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination,
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message or any
information contained in it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete this message from your computer.  Although we have taken
steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus,
we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient
should ensure they are actually virus free.