[syslog-ng] Configuring syslog-ng to broadcast

Jim Schuyler sky at red7.com
Mon Apr 24 02:07:23 CEST 2006

Yeah, a reflector does sound like a good idea. I'll run it on the local
system - we are writing an embedded system that has to be well-encapsulated
and we have no control over systems outside our own.  Since our system is a
daemon (in C) that runs on the local system, I can just have it do the
listening itself.  I could config syslog-ng to send its data to a listener
on a port on the local machine and it would then do the broadcast out onto
the local net.

Did we ever establish that syslog-ng cannot do a broadcast?  Sounds like it
can not.

And I agree with your statement about 'translators' - can't tell you how
many times I've done that in the past decades that I have been writing
code...it's beyond being countable.

I want syslog-ng to be a black box so we can update it at will and not have
to worry about embedding our own changes in it, ever.  So I don't think I'll
try to add anything to it.

Many, many thanks for your responses.  It is great to put a message into a
list on Friday and have a workable suggestion by Sunday afternoon (US PDT).
This world-wide collaboration is great, isn't it?

[Jim]