[syslog-ng] Configuring syslog-ng to broadcast

Jim Schuyler sky at red7.com
Sat Apr 22 18:39:15 CEST 2006

Thanks so much for your reply.

1. The network is 192.168.1.* class C
2. The receiver's mask is 255.255.255.0 and he is at 192.168.1.14
3. The sender's   mask is 255.255.255.0 and he is at 192.168.1.10
4. The router is not filtering within the network - only outside routes are
filtered - and although I don't know about no ip directed-broadcast, snort
and ipfw on the receiver tell me that there are broadcasts arriving at the
receiver all the time (DHCP, for instance)
5. Syslog-ng successfully sends logs to 192.168.1.14 if I configure it using
that specific IP address, so messages are getting thru
6. netstat on the receiver shows
    udp4       0      0  *.514                  *.*
    udp46      0      0  *.514                  *.*
[I don't know why there are two entries - but it works] the receiver is a
Mac OSX machine and one enables syslogd this way ("-u" means listen on udp
port 514):
    sudo syslogd -m 0 -u

Further help would be highly appreciated.

My ultimate question is what the configuration line in syslog-ng should look
like to get it to broadcast.  Maybe this gives you enough information that
we could figure that out.  *If* syslog-ng can do broadcast, that is.

[Jim]