[syslog-ng] HUP does not work

Lumir Unzeitig (DHL CZ) lumir.unzeitig at dhl.com
Fri Apr 21 12:39:52 CEST 2006

Good idea. Thanks for your tip!

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu
[mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Kevin
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:08 PM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] HUP does not work

On 4/20/06, Lumir Unzeitig (DHL CZ) <lumir.unzeitig at dhl.com> wrote:
> The problem is: A central syslog server logs huge number of maillog
> messages from a server. HUP signal is sent to the syslog-ng in
> postrotate instructions when logrotate runs. All log files are rotated
> properly except maillog. The old maillog messages are in the proper
> file, but no new file is created and thus nothing is logged for the
> facility . When I stop/start syslog-ng daemon it's working good.

Personally, instead of using 'logrotate' I configure syslog-ng to
name the 'destination' file as the hour of day and day of week,
and let it automatically create new files on the hour.

For example:
     file("/var/log/mail/$WEEKDAY/$HOUR" remove_if_older(172800) );

If you only need today's log messages on hand, you could do:
     file("/var/log/mail/$HOUR" remove_if_older(7200) );

Kevin
syslog-ng maillist  -  syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu