[syslog-ng] HUP does not work

Lumir Unzeitig (DHL CZ) lumir.unzeitig at dhl.com
Thu Apr 20 13:47:54 CEST 2006

The problem is: A central syslog server logs huge number of maillog
messages from a server. HUP signal is sent to the syslog-ng in
postrotate instructions when logrotate runs. All log files are rotated
properly except maillog. The old maillog messages are in the proper
file, but no new file is created and thus nothing is logged for the
facility . When I stop/start syslog-ng daemon it's working good.

Yes, you are right. No start time of syslog-ng process gets changed when
HUP is sent. Sorry my bad idea.

Thanks for your help

Lumir Unzeitig