[syslog-ng] $HOST macro doing weird stuff

Paul Krizak paul.krizak at amd.com
Wed Apr 5 18:35:30 CEST 2006

I'm using the $HOST macro in a template, the relevant configuration bits
being:

template t_human_readable {
     template("$R_FULLDATE $HOST $FACILITY.$PRIORITY $MESSAGE\n");
     template-escape(no);
};

source s_external_syslog {
     udp(port(514));
};

destination d_big_messages {
     file (
         "/var/log/logs/messages.log"
         template(t_human_readable)
         owner(root)
         group(root)
         perm(0644)
     );
};

log {
     source(s_external_syslog);
     destination(d_big_messages);
};

The weird thing is that occasionally the $HOST field shows up as the IP
address, but without dots, i.e. 163181224153.  I haven't really
discovered a pattern to it yet, but I'm wondering if maybe it's a bug in
the DNS caching code.  I'm using pretty large values:

dns_cache(yes);
dns_cache_size(10000);
dns_cache_expire(3600);
dns_cache_expire_failed(30);

Any ideas?

--

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741