[syslog-ng] high performance server

Mike mike at jeke.fdns.net
Thu Oct 27 05:25:53 CEST 2005

> >are you sure that they are being received? if htey are coming in over UDP,
> >maybe check some netstat output to see if they are being dropped by the
> >kernel? (in this case they would be dropped before syslog-ng can even see
> >that would be the drops would be listed as zero)
> >

> I've just checked my syslog-ng-1.6.8 CentOS-4.1 server and discover I
> have a similar problem. I wrote a quick  UDP syslog record generator
> using Net::Syslog and used it to pump 30,000 records in 3 forks (i.e. 3
> x 10,000) at our syslog-ng server - and only received 29,987. I also ran
> tcpdump on the syslog-ng server and can confirm 30,000 UDP syslog
> packets were received.
>
> I have "log_fifo_size (10000)" set, have dns enabled, and have multiple
> files and directory trees opened by syslog-ng - "STATS: dropped 0" is
> what "stats()" is returning.

stats() shows messages that syslog-ng has received, but was not able to
write to one of it's outputs in time (that is where log_fifo_size() comes
in) >
> I've run it multiple times now - it never equals 30,000 - always losing
> 5-50 events.

check the output of:
netstat -su

do you see anything for "packet receive errors"? try running your send
again...did that number grow?

can't remember the command right now, but there is an option to adjust
this with a sysctl command....