[syslog-ng] Problem with setup of syslog-ng loghost in HA environment

Berthold Cogel cogel at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Wed Oct 19 16:25:24 CEST 2005

Hello!

We want to set up a syslog-ng in a HA Cluster (Red Hat Clumanager).
The Cluster has two nodes for failover of services with attached shared
storage from our SAN.
The idea was to use syslog-ng only for the loghost. Local logging on all
machines is done by standard syslog and forwarded to the loghost. The
loghost uses his own IP which is handed over from one node to the other
in case of a failover situation.

It is not a problem to get the loghost running. The problem is the
logging on the cluster node that is the current loghost. Although syslog
doesn't log remote messages and syslog-ng binds to another (virtual)
interface.

We have an old loghost with syslog, where our systems send parts of
their messages. This works, even for the system, syslog-ng is running
on. I can see the udp packets with ethereal. But there is no syslog
traffic to the second IP or localhost. Only 'external' messages get
logged with syslog-ng

The system is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. syslog-ng is 1.6.8.

Thanks in advance

Berthold Cogel