[syslog-ng] program dies

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Oct 15 04:19:25 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:40:52AM -0700, Jeff DiNisco wrote:
> I'm running syslog-ng on solaris 10.  I have a destination defined as - destination d_alert {
> program("/usr/local/admin/syslog-ng/alert.bash"); };
>
> when syslog-ng is started, these processes also start...
> /bin/bash /usr/local/admin/syslog-ng/alert.bash
> /bin/sh -c /usr/local/admin/syslog-ng/alert.bash
>
> About an hour later, for no apparent reason, the 2 alert.bash processes die but the syslog-ng
> process continues to run.  I've implemented a watchdog script to alert and restart syslog-ng when
> they die.  It's interesting to note that they seem to die exactly 1 hour after being restarted.

Jeff, everything looks good at a glance. It's a good idea to redirect
STDOUT to a file as you have, but that doesn't capture the output of
programs started by syslog-ng. Try the FAQ item here:

 http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#capture_output

See if output from the bash scripts helps. Since syslog-ng is still
running it should capture anything that's sent.

Hope this helps,
--
Nate

Your mantra for today is: Don't let data from the network near a
shell. Bad things happen.                    -- Randall Schwartz