[syslog-ng] log does not appear on the clients

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Oct 15 04:14:29 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:07:26PM +0500, Atif Munir wrote:
> I have make a syslog-ng server and the clients are pushing their
> syslog (by default daemon) messages to syslog-ng server. The logs are
> fine on the server but I am unable to view the logs on the clients
> dmesg(/var/adm/messages).
>
> I m interested to have the logs on both sides...I mean on the
> syslog-ng server and on the clients it self.
>
> The clients have /etc/syslog.conf as under.
> =====================/etc/syslog.conf=====================
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice                   @loghost
> #*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice                   /dev/sysmsg
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        @loghost
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit        /var/adm/messages
> *.alert;kern.err;daemon.err                     operator
> *.alert                                         root
> *.emerg                                         *
> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
> ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
> user.err                                        @loghost
> user.err                                        /dev/sysmsg
> user.err                                        @loghost
> user.err                                        /var/adm/messages
> user.alert                                      `root, operator'
> user.emerg                                      *
> )

The most common cause of errors on Solaris with syslog.conf is not using
tabs as the delimiter. People often use spaces accidentally, and syslogd
will silently fail to log.
--
Nate

"UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows
is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus."    - Peter H. Coffin .