[syslog-ng] bugreport for 1.9.5 on solaris

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Oct 8 00:07:14 CEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:53:06AM +0200, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> This should be in the man page ;). So how do you set bad_hostname in
> your example? bad_hostname("ctld")? But in this case you better not have
> a host named ctld.

Yeah, but then you wouldn't even think of this option in that case.

At least one of the sample configurations on my site has one:

 bad_hostname("^(ctld.|cmd|tmd|last)$");

> >Make sense?
>
> Thanks, Nate. Yes it does, but does it handle all possible cases? Maybe
> the Pareto principle applies ...

If you're saying that this is not important, maybe it's not to you, but
people using the really common destination like this:

destination hosts {
   file("/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY$YEAR$MONTH$DAY"
   owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700) create_dirs(yes));
};

...will see all kinds of crazy hostname directories that don't match any
host. Perhaps they should not use keep_hostname and only use IPs - which
sounds great.

BUT WAIT - that means "ctld" will be tossed and you'll permanently only
have "8.9" as the program name for all your "ctld 8.9" processes. Same
goes for other "bad hostnames".

If I remember correctly this is the reason Bazsi was convinced to create
the bad_hostname option, he saw that information was actually lost when
you tried to "do the right thing."

--
Nate

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Samuel Clemens