[syslog-ng] bugreport for 1.9.5 on solaris

Roberto Nibali ratz at drugphish.ch
Sat Oct 8 01:17:59 CEST 2005

> The other thing is that "bad_hostname()" isn't implemented in 1.9.5, but
> I'm sure you already knew that. The 2.0 reference guide lists this as a
> supported option though. Just FYI.

I feel a bit stupid, but what exactly does this do? Reading the docs it
says:

"A regexp which matches hostnames which should not be taken as such."

Reading the NEWS entry of 1.6.8, I learn:

      * Added bad_hostname() feature where the administrator can specify
        a regular expression to match bad hostnames, works around bad
        programs such as ctld which uses a space within its program name.

When skimming through the old code I extract that the regexp will be
applied to all hostnames matching in a log message. Dumb question:
what's the use case of this and why isn't there a general regexp function?

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc