[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 1.6.8 and dns cache issue

Ketan Vankawala kvankawala at perimeterusa.com
Sun Oct 2 01:27:41 CEST 2005

I appreciate your response. Here is a snippet from /etc/nsswitch.conf.

As I said in my previous email, as soon as I make the change in
/etc/hosts file and after that when I do a tcpdump it shows me the
/etc/hosts change has taken place. I see the ips getting translated into
the new corrected hostname but for some reason syslog-ng keeps logging
under the old hostname. Sometimes I have to wait for almost an hour
until it recognizes the hostname change. If I restart the syslog-ng
daemon, it immediately recognizes the hostname change but restarting the
service is not always a practical solution.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Ketan

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
*hosts:      files dns*

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files