[syslog-ng] Measure throughput and events-per-second

Kevin kkadow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:42:36 CET 2005

On 11/15/05, Scott, Joshua <Joshua.Scott at jacobs.com> wrote:
> Can someone provide some information or tips on how to measure the
> performance and usage of syslog-ng?  I'm looking into purchasing some new
> hardware for my syslog-ng server and I want to be able to determine the
> average number of events-per-second/minute/etc as well as the average number
> of bytes written to disk per second/minute/etc.

You might check out the archives for the thread titled "incoming
message stats" from April of this year (4/1/2005).

Personally, I derive my after the fact numbers on
events/[second|minute] statistics from the local timestamp in the
archived logs, and since I use a dedicated log array (hardware
RAID-0), I let iostat to track bytes/writes.

Kevin Kadow