[syslog-ng] syslog-ng changing permission on /dev/klog

hammy hamster.ball at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:23:03 CET 2005

I hope someone can help me out with this problem b.c. I'm butting my
head against the wall...

I have installed and configured syslog-ng to my (preliminary)
satisfaction and have been able to run it from a terminal without any
problems.  Syslog-ng creates logs and is generally happy.  But when I
run it, I get one line that says syslog-ng is changing the permissions
on /dev/klog.

I am running syslog-ng on a Mac OS 10.3.9.

When I edit /etc/rc to remove the startup for syslog and enter the folowing:

/path/to/syslog-ng -f /path/to/syslog-ng.conf -p /path/to/syslog.pid

and reboot the machine spins and does not finish booting.

If I boot the machine verbosely I can see that it is hanging while
trying to change the permissions for /dev/klog.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong?