[syslog-ng]a weird configuration

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 04 May 2005 12:50:57 -0400

--==_Exmh_1115225457_4721P

On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:11:10 -0300, Julio Kriger said:
> No, there are no ways that the kernel module (it's sctp) know from with
> program is was called. Not that I know :)

Checking the Linux 2.6.12-rc2-mm3 net/sctp source, none of the printk() calls
from the module even *care* what program they were called from, and in some
cases it's bottom-half code running on somebody else's context (on its own
task queue or similar) so there's no actual way to associate the activity with
a given program.  In fact, most of the printk() calls are some variant on "This
is bogus and we can't tell who it belongs to".

Can you explain (a) what kernel/system you're using and (b) what sctp messages
you're trying to classify, and (c) what you're trying to accomplish by doing it?

(I'm suspecting the answer will be "If the sctp kernel module doesn't know, how
is syslog-ng supposed to tell?  But there's another approach to get the info you
wanted. All you do is.....")

--==_Exmh_1115225457_4721P

--==_Exmh_1115225457_4721P--