[syslog-ng]Configure syslog-ng to act as a central logging server

Ryan McCain syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:15:59 -0600

Bill,

So I can simply add this to my conf. file (modifying owner, group, perm,
dir_perm of course) and it will start accepting logs from remote
servers?

Where do I specify which hosts to accept logs from (I'd prefer not to
use tcp wrappers)?

Thanks again,
Ryan

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Ryan McCain wrote:

>I'm starting to understand the syntax.  However, what part of this
>statement tells syslog-ng to create a file for each host its receiving
>logs from?

>destination hosts {
>file("/var/syslog/HOSTS/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$HOST-$FACILITY-$YEAR$MONTH$DAY"

>owner(bob) group(llamafood) perm(0755) dir_perm(0755)
create_dirs(yes));

If the file doesn't exist, it will be created. If the directory doesn't
exist, you need the create_dirs directive.

- billn