[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng 1.6.6 Redhat ES 3.0 - too many open files

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:59:41 +0200

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 09:51 +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 13:08 -0500, henry@shoelacecity.com wrote:
> >

> > My syslog-ng.conf specifies only 4 real log file to write to, and one
> > pipe(for mysql writing), and two UDP destinations (spoof enabled).
> >
> > CPU utilization on the machine is less than 5%, and there's plenty of
> > free memory.
>
> Hmmm it is strange, you most certainly have an fd leak, even though the
> libnet context (ie. the raw socket) is initialized at destination
> initialization time and destroyed at deinitialization time, seemingly
> properly.
>
> This is only done on initialization and configuration file reload. Are
> you HUP-ing syslog-ng very often? I can't see how so many raw sockets
> accumulated, assuming that one fd is leaked for each HUP.

Hmm.. I've now tried to reproduce the problem but without success, I
created a spoof-source enabled UDP destination, sent a couple of
messages then sent a HUP to syslog-ng, again a couple of messages, HUP
and so on a couple of times.

The end result was that I had a single raw socket opened. I'm still
curious how many times you HUP syslog-ng in one week to have so many raw
sockets accumulated.

Either there's a problem in your libnet library, or something triggers a
reinit within syslog-ng without tearing down the previous instance. But
I can't reproduce that here.

Another related question is that I see this in your logs that you sent:

syslog-ng[15710]: STATS: dropped 12828
syslog-ng[15710]: Error initializing raw socket, spoof- source support disabled. (libnet_open_raw: SOCK_RAW allocation failed: Too many open files)
syslog-ng[15710]: Error initializing raw socket, spoof- source support disabled. (libnet_open_raw: SOCK_RAW allocation failed: Too many open files)
syslog-ng[15710]: Error initializing raw socket, spoof- source support disabled. (libnet_open_raw: SOCK_RAW allocation failed: Too many open files)

Can you add the timestamps for these, just to see the interval between
those?