[syslog-ng]too much time() ?

Dave Johnson syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:21:15 -0600

No problem.

I'm not sure if people are interested in this, but will throw it out there:
* When the central server was down for awhile, remote syslogs spool,
and then when it
  comes back:
  - syslog-ng process was running 50% CPU of total system CPU ([2] proc system)
    [so it seems to be cpu bound, thus the time() question]
   - since the log data eventually gets there, its not a big deal.
* With a sync(1) on the central server, the syslog-ng process's normal
usage dropped
  by ~40%
  - It still climbed up to 50% when catching up logs on remote machines.
* We applied the latest sun patches at the same time of this, and that
also helped a lot.
   (from a 112233-xx to 118558-xx).

The changes on the central server also impacted the remote machines.
Machines with a normal 3% syslog-ng utilization dropped to 2%.

This is with up to date sun hardware, solaris, and aggregately 20-30GB
of logs/day.