[syslog-ng]Apache Access Log Load and Syslog-ng Stability

Jason Stafford syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:43:06 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin" <kkadow@gmail.com>
To: <syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng]Apache Access Log Load and Syslog-ng Stability

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:09:18 -0600, Jason Stafford <jason@dpcomm.net>
wrote:
> > I'm trying to setup a load balanced system with several web servers and
one
> > central log server. Currently I have syslog-ng running and pipe the
output
> > form apache to logger. This is all running locally on one box.  However,
> > syslog-ng just randomly hangs and apache stop processing requests.
>
> This sounds like an issue with the pipe.  If you move the logger off-box
and
> switch to UDP, you won't have the problem with Apache hanging, if the
remote
> logger dies, then you just won't have log data.
>
> > I can restart apache and it still does not respond, but i can just
restart
> > syslog-ng and then it all starts working again.  Is syslog-ng designed
> > handle this kinda of load, around 3 million entries a day?
>
> I have a central logger doing 5 million entries an hour, so I'd say yes,
> syslog-ng can handle this load :)
That's great news, i was really hoping that wasn't the problem.

> What sources does syslog-ng accept from on the central logger?
> TCP? UDP? both? local socket/pipe?
Each webserver is currently setup with tcp and a local pipe. However, i send
the output from apache with a pipe, then setup two destination inside the
syslong-ng config file, one local and the other over TCP to the central log
server. Howerver, I can do away with the local pipe and switch to udp if it
will fix it.

> I've never used syslog-ng with a local log socket or pipe.
Could you please provide me with an example of how you get apache apache to
send logs to syslog-ng, the only thing i could find was using a pipe like
below.

> > I have been googling for hours and can only find some comments
> > about log_fifo_size and reap_time in the options section?
>
> Currently I have the following:
>        sync(256);
>        log_fifo_size(4095);
>        time_reap(300);
>        log_msg_size(2048);
>

> > here is my current config, if that helps any
> >
> > options { sync (0);
> >           time_reopen (10);
> >           log_fifo_size (1000);
> >           long_hostnames (off);
> >           use_dns (no);
> >           use_fqdn (no);
> >           create_dirs (no);
> >           keep_hostname (yes);
> >         };
> . . .
> > httpd.conf log line
> > CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local0.info -t APACHE_ACCESS_LOG"
tracking

> I do not recall if this is the recommended way to have apache log to
syslog?
any suggestions would be most welcome

> Kevin

Thanks for the reply