[syslog-ng]logs are not generated and managed by syslog-ng but it is started properly

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:44:05 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:43:55AM -0800, jack alex wrote:

> I am trying to configure syslog-ng package for
> managing logs, but there is some where something wrong
> in my configuration such that it is not generatinglogs
>
> below file is quite long

<SNIP>

> Any guess , why it is not managing log, no new logs
> have been added to log directory, as
> /var/log/messages doens't contains any new message
> after i configured syslog-ng but if i will restart my
> syslog(the default that comes with redhat) it will
> start adding new logs to /var/log/messages. . ......

Your config file is syntactically correct (syslog-ng -s), and I don't
see anything wrong at a glance. I suppose I'd make sure it's running (as
root since /var/log has strict file perms by default). Maybe there's
some problem making it exit, so keep it in the foreground in debugging
when you start it and see what you get:

# syslog-ng -d -v

--
Nate

". . . a classic - something that everybody wants to have read and
nobody wants to read." - speech (1900) - Samuel Clemens