[syslog-ng]Fedora Core 3, SELinux, and syslog-ng

Mike Tremaine syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:09:49 -0800

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 10:50, Mike Pepe wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone knows the magic incantation you need in order to
> make FC3 with selinux turned on to like syslog-ng.
>
> it won't let syslog-ng access /proc/kmesg and therefore prevents it from
> working.
>
> If I turn off selinux, of course, it works fine.
>
> This selinux stuff is nice, but hard to figure out!

You need to have the source policy installed then you add this to
local.te and rebuild.

#To allow for /proc/kmsg
allow syslogd_t proc_kmsg_t:file write;
allow syslogd_t self:capability sys_admin;
allow syslogd_t self:capability chown;

[I submitted this a bug to Fedora but of course since syslog-ng is not
an release package they don't care]