[syslog-ng] Error parsing conf file?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:01:33 CEST 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:42:20 MDT, Zb Indelak said:
> I have been running syslog-ng 1.6.5 on a bunch of my systems for a while, how
ever since I'm centralizing the logs from multiple time zones, I decided to upg
rade to version 1.9.4 so that I could use the rcvd_time_zone () option.  After
installing version 1.9.4 I can no longer read the syslog-ng.conf
> file that worked fine with version 1.6.5.
>
> Version 1.9.4 gives the error "syntax error at 23"
> Version 1.9.4+20050623 gives the error "syntax error at 19"

Maybe I need more caffeine, but I find it interesting that line 19 is the first
line that isn't a blank or a comment, and line 23 is the first line after
a comment line.  I have to wonder if the parser is being too greedy, and
swallowing a character/token too many before trying to parse it (so for
instance, it's trying to parse "ptions { sync..." or "{ sync ..." or
some similar uglyness.

Just out of curiosity, if you compiled with -O or -O3 or similar, does it work
right if you compile with '-g' instead?  I find it hard to believe that the
code for something as basic as comments got broken, but could believe a
compiler optimizer bug.....