[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 1.5.17 and tcp-keep-alive not working

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Thu Jun 16 12:16:33 CEST 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:32 +0200, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
>> Hallo!
>>

>> So now I wanted to activate tcp keepalive on the client, in the hope,
>> that whenever the syslog server closed the connection, that the client
>> can reopen it upon new data arriving, what it is not doing in the basic
>> config:
>
> tcp-keep-alive enables the SO_KEEPALIVE socket option, thus sends TCP
> keepalive packets form time to time, and indicates a broken connection
> when those packets are not properly acked. So it basically detects IP
> connectivity without actually sending messages.

Ahh, ok. makes sense. But how do I solve my problem, that, whenever the
syslog-ng on the loghost has to be restarted or other problems, that I
have to manually restart the syslog-ng on the client?

There are some scenarios, where on the loghost the syslog-ng does not
only get a SIGHUP, but might die and needs to be restarted, some admin
or startscript does a full stop/start etc.

So in that case it would be fine if the client can upon detection of a
terminated tcp connection try to re-establish it, therefore avoiding the
manual restart of syslog-ng on the client side.

How can this be solved?

With kind regards
Olaf Hoyer
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)