[syslog-ng] Some Questions!

mrgenius mrgenius420 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 08:01:18 CEST 2005

Hi all!
 I belongs to a relatively huge orginization. And we are not going to
impliment Centralized Logging. But I have Few considerations and Things in
mind whihc i needs to be rectified.
 We are ISP having around 8-9 Cisco routers ranging from 2600 to 7200
series. around 30MaxTNT Access Servers and aroud 20 Cisco Switches.
 NOw i have Few Questions
  - What is Facility?? is it log message type ?? "DEBUG INFO NOTICE WARNING
ERROR CRIT ALERT EMERG " . Because All Devices supports defining of facility
from local0 to local 7. And Some devices like MaxTNT have options of definit
facility as well as log level (having options of DEBUG INFO NOTICE WARNING
ERROR CRIT ALERT EMERG)
 - Altough i know it depends on logs/time duration. But i would like to know
what kind of machine is needed to runn syslog server (linux based) with
stability? Will Dual XEON with 512k ram be enough?? And how about Harddisk
size?
 Please if some one who has implimented syslog in such orgnization structure
as i have.. suggest me answers of above said Question.

Regards,
 -Geni
Network Engineer