[syslog-ng] Reliability of Remote logging via TCP/Syslog-NG

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Wed Jun 15 16:45:40 CEST 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 03:59 -0700, Alf wrote:
>> Hi Balas and guys,
>>
>> --- Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:
>>> syslog-ng has a FIFO in memory where it stores messages. The contents of
>>> this fifo is not persistent (as it is in memory), thus if you stop and
>>> restart syslog-ng the contents of this fifo is lost. Another thing to
>>> note is that if this FIFO becomes full, syslog-ng will start dropping
>>> messages (which it reports using the STATS message).
>>  So assuming FIFO doesnt become full, I can assume messages that failed to send
>> will be requeued to be sent ?
>
> One other problem is that whenever the server shuts down the connection
> the client drops a _single_ log message. This is not easy to fix, at
> least not in the 1.6.x branch. See the mailing list archives for more
> information.

Hi!

When I read that correctly, this means that on the client machine a
single line of data is thrown away, before it will reach the network
interface?

I am also doing some syslog setup, where some embedded machines (running
syslog-ng 1.5.17) will log to a central machine, also running syslog-ng
1.6.x, and I wonder, that, wenn on the client machine there is no data
waiting, what happens to the first line arriving, when the connection is
up again before this line arrives? I assume it shall be transmitted
unharmed, or is there anything to worry about?

With kind regards
Olaf Hoyer
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)