[syslog-ng] Reliability of Remote logging via TCP/Syslog-NG

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Jun 15 15:23:47 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:24:14PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> One other problem is that whenever the server shuts down the connection
> the client drops a _single_ log message. This is not easy to fix, at
> least not in the 1.6.x branch. See the mailing list archives for more
> information.

I think we can work around it. Have syslog-ng send a one byte dummy
message when a connection is brought up, that a receiving syslog-ng will
always discard. I had to do something like this in a performance testing
suite I wrote, and I see no reason syslog-ng itself can't do it.

Sound reasonable?
--
Nate

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." - Samuel Clemens