[syslog-ng] Reliability of Remote logging via TCP/Syslog-NG

Alf elvin at elvin.net
Wed Jun 15 12:14:10 CEST 2005

Hi Guys,

 (New to this list, searched the FAQ for this qn, didnt find it. So I apologize
if this was repeated before on the list. It might be related to the topic on
TCP timingout though as report @
https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2005-February/006974.html)

 I'm planning to deploy a syslog-ng setup. (Central logging server in Asia, and
Clients will be in US/HK). The setup is actually as a backup/secure repository
of log entries of the appliation we are running.

 Now the question is, (I know TCP is reliable vs UDP), how reliable will
syslog-ng hand the log entries ? If it gets disconnected (due to timeout,
reset, etc), will it hold the log entry in memory and queue it for resend ? Is
there an option to set before it times out (And at least logs it in a local log
that there was an error (as an internal msg i guess)

 I need to be certain that no messages get lost basically :P

 Thanks in advance.

Elvin
-