[syslog-ng] re-inserting syslog messages for testing

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:42:16 +0100

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 01:04 -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:29:07AM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> > I've written a perl script that takes as input a file with syslog
> > I use this for test environments, especially when I'm testing things
> > results when parsed by logsurfer.
> >
> > My tool does two things logger doesn't - (1) it trims off the existing
> > timestamps from the input before logging it, and more interestingly, (2)
> > can parse those timestamps and replay the log messages at the same rate
> > that they were originally logged.  Or you can tell it to "time warp"
> > and play the messages back 2x 3x, 1/5x as fast, etc.  This is why it's
> > good for testing logsurfer files, since you can test whether your
> > timeouts work.
> >
> > I have to spruce it up slightly (get rid of the XXX comments :-) before
> > I release it, will do so Real Soon.
>
> OK, here it is, as an attachment.  With perldoc documentation, too.  One
> possible bug not mentioned in the doc is that sleeping between
> messages to simulate the original delivery times seems to be getting
> rounded to the nearest second, a problem I thought using Time::HiRes
> would fix, but could conceivably be limited to my local environment.
>
> If anyone uses this, please let me know what you think.  It's still
> in the beta stage, but since it's only a tool for testing rather
> than production, that should be sufficient for most purposes :-)

I'd like to include this script in the syslog-ng tarball within the
contrib directory if you don't mind, though you should add a copyright
and license header to the beginning of the file. (I know it is at the
end of the documentation but that's not visible enough)