[syslog-ng]klogd and syslog-ng

John Feeney syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:11:38 -0500

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has specifically seen a problem when syslog-ng
and klogd are running together and syslog-ng has /proc/kmsg as a source.
I know that they should not be configured to access /proc/kmsg at the
same time but
before I could remove klogd from the startup script, syslog-ng has hung
at a customer site and people (my boss) want proof that this is the
cause of the situation. I can only speculate.

It appears as though syslog-ng is hanging on a read() system call for
the file descriptor to /proc/kmsg. Only around half the number of kernel
messages are retrieved from the kernel buffer. The apps logging to
syslog-ng will eventually hang. If new kernel data is generated (e.g.
rmmod a module) at a later time, syslog-ng will wake up and logging is
normal.
=20
Any proof or experience that klogd will cause syslog-ng to hang would be
greatly appreciated.

Could you please send mail directly to me (jfeeney@broadbus.com).

Thank you so much.
   John Feeney

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain =
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this =
email message is addressed. If you have received this email message in =
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and =
destroy the original message without making a copy. Thank you.