[syslog-ng]syslog-ng development release 1.9.2

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:20:09 +0100

Hi,

It is my pleasure to announce the availability of the latest development
release for syslog-ng, and a related library called eventlog.

This release is actually usable, and although it is still not
recommended to be used on production systems, running it on a spare
system with a real log feed would be very useful indeed, to see how it
behaves with various real life configurations.

The major differences between syslog-ng 1.9.2 and the releases in the
1.6.x branch are outlined in the NEWS file attached to the end of this
message.

A couple of NEWS

News for the 1.9.2 release
	Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:03:02 +0100

	Well, it's been a long time since the last syslog-ng development
	release simply because I was involved in too many things in
	parallel. Good news that the release is actually quite usable,
	I've been running it on my laptop for a week now and I think it
	is now time to gather some real life experience.

	* Fixed a couple of memory leaks.
	* Fixed SIGHUP support.
	* Fixed program startup to make sure all important error information
        is logged.
	* Fixed program destinations by adding setsid() call after forking.
	* Fixed flow controlled log path support.
	* Added the possibility to use braces around macro references (like
        in '${MSG}\n')
	* Added macros missing from this branch added to 1.6.x since the
	last release (PRI and MSGONLY).

News for the 1.9.1 release
	Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:13:44 +0100

	This release is still not intended for production use. It has a good
	number of new features and a couple of them may not be stable
	enough.

	New features:
	* template declarations, the possibility to define a template once
	  and refer to it
	* flow controlled log paths work, and they are also configurable
	* supports RFC3339 timestamps with second fractions and time zones,
	  time zone conversion & source time zone specification
	* MARK messages are generated
	* keep alive for connections as well as listeners
	* the ability to follow log files as they are written to
	* the possibility to mark parts of a message using standard '(' and
	  ')' regexp operators and refer to matches within templates (either
	  filenames or content)

	This program is still ALPHA.

News for the 1.9.0 release
	Thu,  9 May 2002 20:01:11 +0200

	This release is the first release of the new reimplementation of
	syslog-ng. I moved to using glib instead of libol, as glib is more
	mature and provides several nice & easy to use features.

	Here's a bunch of nice things about 1.9.0:
	* supports flow controlled log paths (still not possible to
	  configure it, but the code exists in the core)
	* better support for macros (macro support is moved out of affile,
	  thus any other drivers may use it)
	* more robust detection of closed destination sockets (a closed
	  channel is immediately detected, not at the first write) This
	  avoids losing a log message when the connection is broken.
	* supports respawning destination programs (should be used with care
	  to avoid DoS situations). This makes it easier to integrate third party
	  extensions to syslog-ng. (SQL backends, on-line log analysis etc)
	* performance improvements, instead of using linear lookup in linked
	  lists, I use hashtables everywhere.
	* the ability to define unparsed sources, makes it easier to
	  integrate things like Apache logs
	* many internal reorganizations to make it easier to implement things like
	  hashed log files, SSL protected TCP sessions and so on.

	Things still missing:
	* there are some new features with no configuration interface
	* internal messages always go to /dev/stderr
	* Sun's STREAMS is not yet supported

	1.9.0 is currently in an ALPHA state, it's been tested only on my
	development computer, and not real-life traffic.