[syslog-ng]which os for a central logserver?

Tamas MEZEI syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 04:13:34 +0100

Hi,

I was just wondering in these days of the big'n'mighty systems if
there's a preference for the OS (more exactly Gentoo Linux or FreeBSD)
of a central logserver using syslog-ng.

Are there any OS-specific problems or specialities that I should be
aware of if I'm using this or that OS? Or are there any syslog-ng
specific things depending on the host OS?

If anybody has some experience using those OSes as central logservers,
would he say some words about the positive-negative sides (in private,
maybe not everybody's interested in this chit-chat).

The machine would receive logs from nearly 20 servers (mostly Linux and
3 Windows machines), and has the job to analyze the stuff periodically.

Thanks in advance,

Tamas