[syslog-ng]Reliability of various mysql logging methods

Ed Walker syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:28:06 -0800

We're using syslog-ng, logging about 2million lines/day from a number of
email filtering servers.  We log to a new file each day.

Right now we've got a perl script that runs just after midnight, and parses
each file and dumps the info into a mysql database.  For each domain, we
have a separate database, for each month, a separate table.

We're interested in moving to direct SQL injection, but are concerned about
the possibility of losing logging information if the sql server goes down,
or the pipe or injection script die.

What's the most reliable way to do this?

Named pipe? Socket?

Anybody willing to share their configurations and/or scripts?

Thanks-

Ed