[syslog-ng]1.9.3 bug proposal : resolving $HOSTS in destination

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:29:38 -0800

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 02:31:00PM +0100, Gilles Demarty wrote:
> Here are the revelant debugging infos :
>
> Incoming log entry; line='<21>Feb 28 15:24:46 logger: test'

You haven't said what would you have it do when there's no hostname in
the incoming message (as is the case here). Would you have it fall back
to using the IP of the remote system? Maybe that's not a bad idea.

Anyways, the FAQ states that creating files based on hostnames in syslog
messages is bad:

 http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#bad_filenames

...and I happen to agree with it (oh wait - I wrote that! ;).
--
Nate

Real programmers never work 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around
at 9 am, it's because they were up all night.