[syslog-ng]Update for syslog-ng FAQ

Kevin syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:02:20 -0600

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:04:32 +0100, Michael Arndt
<M.Arndt@science-computing.de> wrote:
> thx for this interesting quantitaive Info.

On a related note, I believe that the reason syslog-ng handles
this volume with little or no loss is related directly to how the
daemon queues up packets and writes the data to disk in blocks
instead of making a single write() call per message.  I'll post the
relevant sections of my syslog-ng.conf if there is interest.

> Two additional Questions:
>
> what are your network specs : bandwith client -> loghost ?

All of the sources are in the same physical facility, connected to the
loghost via a dedicated 100/Full interface to a switch which only
serves the loghost.  Currently this is a 2924 switch, soon to be
replaced with a 3524.

Even at peak moments, the actual bandwidth seldom exceeds
5 megabits -- the real issue seems to be PPS.

> and are you seeing traces of dropped messages on the clients
> or the server ?

I've done some primitive load testing with sending UDP syslog packets
each containing a monotonically increasing sequence number,
and the limiting factor when using UDP seems to be related to
packets-per-second rather than bandwidth.

>From 'netstat -s', I see about 200,000 packets/year logged as
"dropped due to full socket buffers".  I've tuned the value of
net.inet.udp.recvspace as high as it can safely be set.

>From the overall volume, this works out to about %0.001 loss.

Kevin Kadow