[syslog-ng]There's no need to run klogd on current linux kernels

Philip J. Hollenback syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:39:02 -0500

The syslog-ng reference manual

http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/reference/reference.html#AEN279

contains the following:

> NOTE: on Linux, the klogd daemon reads kernel messages, and
> forwards them to the syslogd process. klogd preprocesses kernel
> messages and replaces addresses with symbolic names (from
> /boot/System.map). If you don't want to lose this functionality
> you'll have to run klogd with syslog-ng as well.

That info is obsolete.  We run 2.4.22 and 2.6.10 kernels at
my company, and both provide symbolic names in backtraces.  You can
verify this by looking at "dmesg" after an oops - it contains symbolic
names, and that is the raw kernel log output.

Please adjust the syslog-ng documentation to indicate this.

Thanks,
P.

--
Philip J. Hollenback