[syslog-ng]syslog-ng 1.9.2/1.6.5 static linking

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:35:23 +0100

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 10:07 +0100, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> Hello José,
>
> >> I wonder however why you need this, as it's perfectly ok (at least for
> >> me) to statically link syslog-ng and its components setting the
> >> LDFLAGS when calling make:
> >>
> >> # ./configure ...
> >> # make LDFLAGS=-static
> >> # ldd src/src/syslog-ng
> >>         not a dynamic executable
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >
> > Using the "-static" option you static linking *every* library,
> > including the ones installed in /lib (eg: libc).
>
> Interesting, the abyss of GNU make ...

It is not GNU make but GCC which interprets -static and -shared and
calls the linker accordingly.

I have added a configure option called --enable-full-static which links
everything statically:

AC_ARG_ENABLE(full-statuc,
   [  --enable-full-static    Link everything in statically],,
   enable_full_static=no)